Re: [avr-gcc-list] Alpha testers wanted...

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Alpha testers wanted...
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 13:35:43 -0600

On 29 Apr 2003 at 20:19, Joerg Wunsch wrote:

> > I am not, however, familiar with building the binutils (and I am on
> > Windows). If Eric or someone can provide a basic how-to for that--or
> > better yet, if someone else could provide Windows binaries--I would
> > like to participate.
>
> Thanks!  I'm not familiar with what is needed on Windows either, on
> Unix, it's as easy as typing "./configure --target avr", followed by
> "make".  Optionally also "make install", but it's OK to use them
> without installation as well.  You only need to remember that the
> uninstalled version is called "objcopy", while the installed version
> is prefixed with avr- to "avr-objcopy", and of course, unless you add
> the build directory to your %PATH%, you need to run the uninstalled
> version by its full path name (or first change into the compile
> directory).  By not installing, you won't clobber the existing
> (WinAVR-installed) versions.
>
> My guess is that you need Cygwin (no idea how much of it, or whether
> there's a typical installation option that'll stuff you with
> everything needed).  Then you need the GNU binutils distribution file
> from ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/binutils/releases/ .  Note that my
> current patch is against the latest release, 2.13.2.1, not against any
> more recent snapshot.  I'm prepared to handle porting to their CVS
> version later on, but would like to do all the testing against the
> latest stable release.

I provided at one time Windows build instructions to Ted Roth for avr-
libc. AFAIK he still has it, but it is yet to be put in to the avr-
libc docs.

But here:
<http://www.engr.uconn.edu/~tmahar/avrgcc/>
is a really good source from Tony Mahar to get one started.

Cygwin is NOT needed. MinGW / MSYS however is needed. There are DLL
issues if one builds under Cygwin.

CAUTION! The instructions on Tony Mahar's web site (above) is good
for building binutils. Currently there is an extra requirement if one
is planning to build GCC as there is a bug in MSYS. However, this
should not affect alpha testing of Jörg's patch as it has to do with
binutils only.

Eric