Re: [avr-gcc-list] Alpha testers wanted...

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Alpha testers wanted...
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 14:57:03 -0600

On 29 Apr 2003 at 22:22, Joerg Wunsch wrote:

> [Hmm, i see you're posting this to the avr-gcc list, while my previous
> mail was private only.  OK, i setup my "From" address suitable for the
> list, but most people will probably miss a good part of the previous
> mail.]

[ I posted to avr-gcc-list because I thought it might interest a
wider audience. Anybody feel free to yell at me if this should be
private instead.]

> As E. Weddington wrote:
>
> > Cygwin is NOT needed. MinGW / MSYS however is needed. There are DLL
> > issues if one builds under Cygwin.
>
> But these DLL issues shouldn't affect the local system, only the
> distributed version, or am i wrong here?

Generally true.

> Does MinGW / MSYS all the additional tools (in particular, bzip2, tar,
> and patch)?
>
> Ah, read a bit there, i see the instructions to get them.
>
> Wouldn't using Cygwin make the task less complex because it's more of
> a ``unified distribution'', as opposed to gather around various tools?

Like all engineering, it's a tradeoff. :) Yes, Cygwin is more
unified. But then you have to be concerned with not linking to Cygwin
DLLs (using -mno-cygwin for example).

Also note that if one has WinAVR installed, then those tools (as well
as a prebuilt bison and flex and a bunch more) are also installed as
well. Which certainly helps when building with MinGW / MSYS.

I'd rather someone build and test with the same system / setup that
WinAVR is built with, just to not have that variable be an issue. But
ultimately its up to the user.

Eric