Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr seminar Summary

From: Keith Gudger
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr seminar Summary
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 10:00:40 -0700 (PDT)

Global structs help because the compiler can load the base address into
the 'X' register, and then access any member with the 'X + offset' type of
instructions.  In any routine with multiple calls to global variables,
this can save a lot of space.

This is much better than using LDS (address) which takes another word of
PGM memory (or worse, when the compiler loads up the 'Z' registers with
the address and *then* does an LD instruction *each time any global
variable gets called*).

Keith