[avr-gcc-list] Absolute Sections / Assembly

From: Keith Gudger
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Absolute Sections / Assembly
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 11:52:43 -0700 (PDT)

Sorry to have to ask this question, but I've exhausted all of the manuals,
online and offline I can find, with no answer.

I have an array of data I want in a specific memory location in program
memory.  I am using assembly language.  According to the manuals, I should
be able to define a "section" and then tell the linker where to put it.

I tried defining the section in the file:
    .section .imix9

and in the link call:
--section-start=.imix9=0x02e00

with no success.

In the avr-libc manual I found the following suggestion:

.section .init1,"ax",@progbits

with this description:

"The ,"ax",@progbits tells the assembler that the section is allocatable
("a"), executable ("x") and contains data ("@progbits"). For more detailed
information on the .section directive, see the gas user manual."

I've checked every "gas" manual I can find, but can find nothing that
applies to this.

Please note that this is fixed data in the program memory, not a
bootloader and not in SRAM.

Thanks.

Keith