RE: [avr-gcc-list] avr3, 4 or 5

From: E. Weddington
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] avr3, 4 or 5
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 18:14:13 GMT

> I am using the -mmcu=atmega128 option.  What has me
concerened are these
> lines in my makefile:
>
> ###### BLOCK 9) create bin (.hex and .eep) files from elf
output file ######

> %.hex: %.elf
>       $(BIN) -O $(FORMAT) -R .eeprom $< $@
>
> %.eep: %.elf
>       -$(BIN) -j .eeprom --set-section-
flags .eeprom="alloc,load"
> --change-section-lma .eeprom=0 -O $(FORMAT) $< $@
>
> %.lst: %.hex
>       $(DUMP) -mavr3 --disassemble-zeroes $< > $@
2>tmpNullOutput
>       address@hidden(RM) tmpNullOutput
>
> the $(DUMP) outputs a -mavr3 .hex file.  I use avrstudio
on windows to
> program the device with this file (i've had mixed results
with avrdude and
> avruisp does not work on my machine).
>
> If it's dumping in the wrong format, this could be a
problem.

> -Brian

Gack! That makefile is from the AVR Freaks distro. Drop it.
Either use the sample makefile that comes from WinAVR, or
perhaps use a makefile that comes with one of the examples
in avr-libc. Either way, you should learn a bit about
makefiles and the program make. The make user manual can be
found online, and it also comes in the WinAVR package.

Have you looked on the avr-libc home page? You can find
binary RPMs for the whole toolset. You don't need to
necessarily build it yourself.

Eric