RE:[avr-gcc-list] JTAG ICE Problem (Off Topic)

From: daniel boals
Subject: RE:[avr-gcc-list] JTAG ICE Problem (Off Topic)
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 04:31:28 -0700

James-

      I had almost the exact same problem just a couple of days ago. Although mine was with the atmega128 at 16Mhz.  It seems I had a cold solder somewhere between the clock pins and the Crystal.  A quick way to see/test this is to change the fuses to run the uC off of the internal RC oscillator and see if the problem goes away. If everything works after this, there is a good chance there is something wrong with your external circuit. For the atmega128 there is a fuse CLKOPT that will cause the clock to do rail-to-rail clock oscillations.  This also made my problem go away.  I do not know if the 169 has this same ability.

      In my case I believe I was not actually running at a full 16Mhz and, I am guessing here, but I believe this is the manifestation of trying to talk to the JTAG port at a speed greater than 1/4 the uC clock.

      I was able to get rid of my problem simply by touching the clock pins on the uC and the pins on the Crystal with a soldering iron and adding a little extra solder in both places.  I may have also gone over the pads on the caps in that circuit as well, I can't remember.

Hope this helps,

Daniel Boals