Re: [avr-gcc-list] Experimental WinAVR/avr-gcc update for Win32 systems

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Experimental WinAVR/avr-gcc update for Win32 systems
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 06:44:09 -0600

Stephan Eisvogel wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I  just  got  started  with avr-gcc as part of a nice side-project I'm
> working  on,  and  so  far  have been using WinAVR-20030424's gcc as a
> compiler. My target is a 8515 which will be exchanged for an ATmega162
> shortly.  I  noticed WinAVR is a little bit dated and its gcc has some
> rather   serious  bugs  when  optimizing.  I've  built  some  embedded
> toolchains  in  my  student's job before, so I made a toolchain update
> for WinAVR:
>
> binutils   2.14 + info_fix
> gcc        3.3.1 + mingw32_patch + combine-fix + info_fix
> avr-libc   0.99.90.20030815
>
> I have put up some pre-compiled binaries together with a README at:
>
>   http://www.hawo.stw.uni-erlangen.de/~eisvogel/avrgcc/
>
> I  didn't particularly like this one combiner bug... *ouch*. Please be
> aware  that  these  tools  didn't  get  the  testing  and beating that
> WinAVR's stuff has gone through, so beware.

Stephan,

Hi, I'm the guy that puts together WinAVR. I know it's a bit outdated, and
I've been in the process of putting together a new release. My biggest
problem has been time! Specifically work has been incredibly busy for the
last few months. Also GCC and other projects have been in flux for the
last few months and only recently has settled down.

If you're interested (and have the time) I would be glad of some help.
Specifically:
1. What are the info_fix (binutils, gcc) and combine_fix patches? Can you
send them to me as well? If these fix particular GCC bugs, which bugs?
2. Are you building GCC any differently? (Patches, etc.)

FYI, in the next WinAVR release, I will have to use binutils 2.13.2.1
because of the AVR COFF patch written by Jörg Wunsch. Will the info_fix
patch apply to this version?

And of course WinAVR will contain the new avr-libc 1.0 release.

Other tasks that need to be done for the new release:
1. avrdude: make sure that recent patches are in and built. New version
cut.
2. New GDB 6.0 built. (Check to see if even released yet.)
3. New avarice built. See if there will be an "official" release (Hi, Ted
and David)
4. Get new SRecord utils built (currently has problems.)

Eric