RE: [avr-gcc-list] Bug in WinAVR install on W2K ?

From: E. Weddington
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] Bug in WinAVR install on W2K ?
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 17:55:19 GMT

> > Thanks! Technically you're the 3rd (or 4th) person to
> > mention this, so it's a known issue. I just haven't
filled
> > out a bug tracker on SourceForge about it. Sorry! :-/
(Feel
> > free to fill out a tracker if you want.)
> >
> > I'm going to be looking into this within the next week
or
> > so with my installation software, to see if it's
capable of
> > doing this.
>
> Good to see that this is in hand. Adding the WinAVR bits
to the end of
> the path rather than the beginning might also help.

Actually, there's a good reason why it's at the beginning.
There are a number of people who have/had the AVR Freaks
installation and then install WinAVR on top. With the
WinAVR paths up front, it will find the WinAVR tools first.

> Failing that just prompt the user to add it manually
rather than
> automatically breaking it! :)

It used to be manual, but then there seems to be a whole
bunch of people (mostly younger) who know nothing about
environment variables, the PATH variable, where to change
it, what it's used for, etc. :-( Hence automating it seemed
to be much better.

I've checked, and my installer can do this correctly. :) So
this will be fixed in the next release.

Eric