[avr-gcc-list] Compiler linking error

From: Nick Brent
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Compiler linking error
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 14:18:57 -0800

Hey everyone. I checked the archives, but I didn't see an answer to this exact
question. I'm using avr-gcc 3.3.1. What I'm trying to do is create a static
library that I can distribute to others. When I use this command to compile the
project:

    avr-gcc -mmcu=atmega128 delay2.o lcdcntrl.o test2.c -o test2.ex

It compiles just fine. The problem I run into is that when I compile a project
with a static library using these commands:

    avr-ar -r libtest2.a delay2.o lcdcntrl.o
    avr-gcc -mmcu=atmega128 libtest2.a test2.c -o test2.ex

Then I get this error message:

    C:\WINDOWS\TEMP/ccULbaaa.o(.text+0xce): In function `main':
    : undefined reference to `lcd_init'
    C:\WINDOWS\TEMP/ccULbaaa.o(.text+0xe2): In function `main':
    : undefined reference to `line1'

The functions 'lcd_init' and 'line1' are contained in the lcdcntrl.o file. I
kept playing around with it, and I found out that when I used the canned
makefile in winavr\sample\makefile and insert the line 'LDFLAGS += libtest2.a'
into the section labeled '# Additional libraries' the program compiles just
fine. I'm assuming there is some command line argument that avr-gcc needs that
the regular gcc compile doesn't, but what is it? Any and all help is
appreciated.

                                                Sincerely,

                                                    -Nick Brent