[avr-gcc-list] AVRISP programming error

From: harshit suri
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] AVRISP programming error
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 07:59:38 -0800 (PST)

Hello I am trying to use my new AVRISP programmer from
atmel.
Background of my host system :
red hat linux 9 running on a Pentium II. I am using
UISP programming software.I am trying to use AVRISP as
my hardware programmer. (was previously using a stk200
parallel port programmer from olimex). I am using the
Atmega128 Header board from Olimex.

I am having 2 problems.
1) When i try to 'make flash' in my own user mode i
get a ioperm error as follows
$ make flash
uisp -dprog=avrisp -dserial=/dev/ttyS0 --erase
ioperm: Operation not permitted
Failed to get direct I/O port access.
make: *** [flash] Error 2

*however* when i do it as root i am atleast allowed
access to serial port
ps: i have tried the usual chmod a+wr /dev/ttyS0 and
also tried changing owner of /dev/ttyS0 to myself from
root using chown

My main problem is however more confusing .
as i said when i switch to root i am atleast allowed
access to serial port
but then i get this error when i try make flash

root$ make flash
uisp -dprog=avrisp -dserial=/dev/ttyS0 --erase
An error has occurred during the AVR initialization.
* Target status:
Vendor Code = 0xff, Part Family = 0xff, Part Number =
0xff

Probably the wiring is incorrect or target might be
`damaged'.
make: *** [flash] Error 2

Now i know the warning isn't true as i rechecked with
my Parallel port stk200 programmer and my device is
fine and programs well.
Allso if i add 'dpart=atmega128' to the command line
in the makefile then this happens

uisp -dprog=avrisp -dpart=atmega128
-dserial=/dev/ttyS0 --erase
Atmel AVR ATmega128 is found.
Invalid parameter: -dserial=/dev/ttyS0
make: *** [flash] Error 1

it finds the ATMega128.I dont know how. My guess is
that it didnt find the atmega128 , it is just assuming
cause if it found it then there really should be any
problem programming it.Note that the error message
also says Invalid parameter: -dserial=/dev/ttyS0
I have made sure that the Atmega128 board is powered
well
The light on the AVRISP goes green so i guess its
powered ok. What is going wrong.?
I checked the serial port by writing a small program
to send characters and found that the serial port is
OK an d it is /dev/ttyS0
I tried googling didnt get much help