Re: [avr-gcc-list] jtag gdb linux

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] jtag gdb linux
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 12:34:57 +0200 (MET DST)

honschu <address@hidden> wrote:

[stack/data collision]

> Is this a general problem of avr-gcc/binutils... ?

It's a general problem of the code designed that way.

> Howto solve?

Buy properly design your code.  By evaluating the amount of local data
+ stack framing you need (which arguably can be a lot of work).

I'm surprised that pushing all variables into the global space really
worked around that problem though.  Normally, I'd expect just the
opposite: since `auto' variables overlay for different functions at
the same nesting level, while global variables will always be
concatenated (so they last forever, even if the function using them is
currently not being executed), the risk of filling up your memory is
much greater.