Re: [avr-gcc-list] AVR simulator and interrupts

From: Klaus Rudolph
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] AVR simulator and interrupts
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 08:46:52 +0200 (MEST)

Hi James,

> Just tried this a little while ago and it all works exactly as you said.
> I hadn't been using the trace functionality so it was good to try this.
>
> Do interrupts work with gdb and DDD as well?

Yes.

> After putting the sei() in immediately before I start the timer I now
> get a hang in DDD/gdb as I step into the for loop...

That is not really a hang. The problem is that some instructions need more
then one cpy cycle. The simulation was made for cycle exact calculation.
So if you step through the code sometimes you will step multiple times
but nothing seems to be continued. But if you have the trace in background:

simulavr -g -ttracefile -dat90s8515 &
tail -f tracefile &
ddd ....

you will see that the execution continues.
Why that: The problem is that if you have multiple cpu´s connected they
must be simulated in a step by step order. And there is no chance
to let a single step run until it is finished. In the same time the
uart for example do multiple counts and send maybe 2 bits of information.
And it is also possible to run differnt cores with differnt clock frequency
in the same simulation. So that is not a bug, it is a feature.

BUT:
For the regression tests I inserted a mode where a step is exactly
running until it has finsihed. That is in fact a problem with the
regression tests and must be fixed in the tests and not in the
simulator. The actual version I have is able to do a step until a step is
finished
if gdb interface is active. But this is a workaround and planed to be
removed
in future versions.

I hope that bill give us the actual version the next days on the
"homepage" :-). You know that we are actually move to savannah but please
give us some time for the move and clean up some minor problems.

> The following appears in the gdb command window of DDD:
>
> (gdb) next
> (gdb) next
> 0x0000000e in __vectors ()
> (gdb) next
> Single stepping until exit from function __vectors,
> which has no line number information.

No that I have not seen in this way. Can you please send me your source AND
your compiled elf file (with debugging information!!!) as PM.
I will run it under my actual version and will test this.

Thank you for testing.

Klaus