Re: [avr-gcc-list] MicroC with Atmel devices

From: Julius Luukko
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] MicroC with Atmel devices
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 13:10:35 +0200

On Sunday 12 December 2004 19:15, Steve Bentley wrote:
> Hi
> I'd like to stat playing with the MicroC os (http://www.ucos-ii.com/)
> and wonder if anyone has any experience/tips with this.
>
> Some ports do exist for Atmel devices. These are for the ATmega103 and
> ATmega128. I currently only have access to two devices, the -8515 (too
> small I guess) and the ATmega162. Should it be possible to port the OS
> to this device without many difficulties? Where can I find more info on
> the instruction set than the summary table in the datasheet?

Hello,

I have ported uC/OS-II to AVRs and avr-gcc (or more spesifically made the
earlier port of Jesper Hansen work with gcc 3.x). Micrium's port page
http://www.ucos-ii.com/contents/products/ucos-ii/ports.html contains a
version of my port that has got some bugs. Download the latest version 141003
from page

http://www.ee.lut.fi/staff/Julius.Luukko/ucos-ii/index.html

Direct link to the source is

http://www.ee.lut.fi/static/staff/Julius.Luukko/ucos-ii/at-avr-jlu-141003.tgz

additionally you'll need an updated version of avr_isr.h located in

http://www.ee.lut.fi/static/staff/Julius.Luukko/ucos-ii/avr_isr.h

The port should work with all AVRs. It is just a matter of specifying the
-mmcu command line parameter in the compilation. I personally have tested the
port with ATMega128, ATMega103, ATMega169 and ATMega32. 1 kB of SRAM is an
absolute minimum (and a bit over 8 kB of FLASH, but all of AVRs with 1 kB of
SRAM have at least 16 kB). 8515 isn't therefore very usable, but ATMega162
should do. Note, however, that the first example in the port, creates too
many tasks to fit in the 1 kB of SRAM. The second example should work,
though.

Some of the users of my port read also this list and have also provided me
with bug corrections. I myself don't use the port that much except for
educating new embedded systems engineers.

--
D.Sc. Julius Luukko
Laboratory of Control Engineering/Department of Electrical Engineering