RE: [avr-gcc-list] Feature request - compiler warning for "if" stmts tha

From: Dave Hylands
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] Feature request - compiler warning for "if" stmts that do nothing
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 07:20:00 -0800

> > A feature I'm requesting is that the compiler generate a warning for
> > control statements that don't do anything.
>
> -Wextra?
>
> According to the man page:
>
>  o   An empty body occurs in an if or else statement.
>
> I'd assume this to be warned.

Hey - that's pretty close.

It triggers on the original posters original request:

        if ( condition );
        {
                ... Do something ...
        }

x.c:8: warning: empty body in an if-statement

And doesn't trigger on my example: if (condition);else{...do
something...}

It still doesn't warn about while/for loops that are similar:

        while ( conition );
        {
                ... Do something ...
        }

And

        for (i=0;i<10;i++);
        {
                ... Do something ...
        }

So it's definitely a step in the right direction.

--
Dave Hylands
Vancouver, BC, Canada