Re: [avr-gcc-list] register allocation - something not right

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] register allocation - something not right
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 09:26:19 -0700

address@hidden wrote:

Eric,

my experiments are WITHOUT new-ra for the very reason you state.

My point was that avr register allocation order and/or function call register
assigment are not sympathetic. Better code is produced using a different
register allocation order.

Would you define "better code" as "smaller code"? :-)

I have yet to try changing the function parameter registers (that is bit more
involved and I am now sidetracked on code improvements and better cost
modelling)

There are a number of people who would be interested in any results of experiments with register allocation order/assignment that show an improvement in the size of code generation. What would be incredibly helpful is if a GCC patch could be developed that shows improvements in practically all cases...

Eric