Re: [avr-gcc-list] COFF/ EXTCOFF: /ccOcaaaa.s not found in symbol table

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] COFF/ EXTCOFF: /ccOcaaaa.s not found in symbol table, ignoring
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 09:34:12 -0700

E. Weddington wrote:

Steve Bentley wrote:

Hello Again,

My latest problem is creating a coff and/or extcoff file.

If you are debugging using AVR Studio, then the COFF/Extended COFF files are deprecated.

You should then:
1. Use the latest WinAVR release which can generate ELF files with DWARF2 debugging info. See the WinAVR README file for more details on how to do this. 2. Use AVR Studio 4.10 with the new ELF/DWARF2 parser (in beta), which can read the new output above.

I have heard of pretty good success from other users.

Knut.Schwichtenberg wrote:

Eric,

VMLAB 3.10 is still hanging on the cof format and second if you have some assembler sources how do you tell gas to make DWARF2 debug info?

Yes, I was aware that VMLab is still using the COFF format. I've heard that they will probably be using it for some time. :-( The OP didn't say whether he was using VMLab or AVR Studio as their debugger.

I can't remember offhand how to tell gas to generate DWARF2 debug info; there might be some information on the avr-gcc-list about it if you want to search the archives. It *may* be that there isn't currently a way, but like I said, I can't clearly remember.

And please don't send me personal replies (unless its something personal); please use "Reply All" in your email client and reply to the list as well. Thanks. I went ahead and sent this to the avr-gcc list too.

Eric