Re: [avr-gcc-list] What Happened to the sbi() and cbi() Macros????

From: Victoria Welch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] What Happened to the sbi() and cbi() Macros????
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 19:52:18 -0800

On Sunday 30 January 2005 18:59, you wrote:
> I guess that the term "deprecated" doesn't ring
> true with some. Anyone that disagrees with the
> policy can define the deprecated features in their
> own local headers. Just because a feature is
> deprecated doesn't mean it can't be used.

Well, it is quite possible I missed any reference to these
disappearing (the gentoo ebuilds are indeed old).

None the less, IMO, depreciation of heavily used elements is
indicative of something...  I still haven't figured out
what a good reason for this would be, outside of academic
purity as I have never seen this kind of thing being an
issue in the real working world.

The long list of errors was not heartwarming nor confidence
inspiring because I found nothing that prepared me :-).

This combined with the missing crt* files for the M168
(etc.)left me wondering if I didn't need to just backstep
to what I had and just eat all the pins I don't need to get
the flash I DO need.

LOL, What kind of scorpion pit had I fallen into :-)?

You are indeed correct that it is trivial to fix.  Once I
got over the shock of all the possible changes needed and
found the (indeed trivial) fix I wasn't quite so much of a
panic :-).

But. perhaps a section in the docs listing what is
depreciated out might prepare some for the shock when stuff
that has been working fine forever starts generating
massive amounts of errors.  Also a compat library for these
being available might well be in order.

If this exists and I have just not found it or don't know
where to look, I'll get better :-).

OK, now that the panic has subsided, I can get back to the
fun of doing things with the avr toolchain :-).  Less the
new device files missing in avr-libc, but that will come in
time :-).

Take care, V.
--
Victoria Welch, WV9K/7.  "Engineering is the art of making
what you want from things you can get."-  Jerry Avins