Re: [avr-gcc-list] ATMega16 #include trouble?

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] ATMega16 #include trouble?
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 13:36:22 -0700

Heiko Engelke wrote:

Hallo,

I'm a beginner with Atmel processors, still trying to get some simple programs running. But I keep getting some very strange errors with very basic things that I just don't understand. I am using avr-libc in version 1.0.2 (Included in the binary Mac package from [1]).

avr-libc version 1.0.2 is outdated. The latest version is 1.2.2.

Here's the first problem: My ATMega16 is not a valid MMCU, avr-gcc says.

Then you have an old version of avr-gcc.
The latest version is 3.4.3.

avr-libc seems to support it, so I think atmega16 should exist :-(

Support for a device is required in three projects: GNU Binutils, GCC, and avr-libc. Just because you have one project that supports it, doesn't mean that the others do.
FYI: the latest binutils version is 2.15.

    $  avr-gcc  -mmcu=atmega16  foo.c
    Unknown MCU `atmega16' specified

Now that I'm using atmega161 as a workaround, some defines do not exist. There is no #define for UBRRL, while UBRRH exists. Strange ... is this normal? What do I need to do to avoid this problem?

Stop using a "workaround". Get your tools updated and use the correct mcu definition which will pull in the correct IO header file.

    $ cat foo.c
    #include <io.h>

Wrong. You need to change that to:
#include <avr/io.h>

    #define BAUD 42 // still to do
    int main() {
            outp((unsigned char)(BAUD>>8), UBRRH);
            outp((unsigned char)BAUD, UBRRL);
    }

And STOP using outp(), inp(), outb(), inb(), sbi() and cbi() macros. They are all deprecated and they are removed in avr-libc >= 1.2.0.

[1] http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/~mseeman/resources/macmicro.html

Looks like those are outdated tools.
You'll have to either build them yourself, or somebody else on this list who uses a Mac could perhaps post a location to get a binary download of the latest tools.

Eric