Re: [avr-gcc-list] Building equivalent of WinAVR on Linux

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Building equivalent of WinAVR on Linux
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2005 08:19:42 -0700

Anton Erasmus wrote:

I have looked on the WinAVR site, and the list of packages used
seems to be for the previous version. Is there a URL that has a list
of the exact packages + patches used to build the current WinAVR
version ? I need to build a linux version of the avr tools, and I
would like to have the same version as WinAVR uses.

Hi Anton,

I answered in a previous (private) thread, that was CCed to me from Brian Dean.

Sorry the website hasn't been updated recently. We need to do that....

The list of packages used is in the WinAVR user manual.... but I guess if you don't have Windows, then you wouldn't be able to easily find that?

From memory:
binutils 2.15
gcc 3.4.3
avr-libc 1.2.3
avrdude latest CVS
uisp - latest release (I can't remember the date code at the moment)
Insight - 6.1
avarice - latest release (I think it's 2.3)
simulavr - latest release (of simulavr, not simulavrxx)
SRecord - 1.21

There are patches for binutils and gcc and IIRC Insight. I'll have to get those to you on Monday. Unless somebody else on the list is willing to package them up from their release; the patches are in the <install>\source directory of the WinAVR installation. Note, that some of those patches won't be required for a Linux install. For example the COFF patch for binutils is really only needed on Windows because of debugging with Atmel's AVR Studio (which only runs on Windows). IIRC, the patch for Insight was to get it to build on Cygwin, so it is probably not needed for a Linux build. One thing that you will want to include is Joerg Wunsch's patch to add the ability to parse binary constants; that's a nice extension to gcc.

HTH
Eric