Re: [avr-gcc-list] Help Patching gcc for mega48/88

From: Andy Warner
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Help Patching gcc for mega48/88
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 16:33:24 -0600

E. Weddington wrote:
> [...]
> Could you be more specific?: Are you building within the source
> directory? Or you building in a directory seperate from the source?
> I haven't had any problems when building in a directory seperate from
> the source directory.

I was building avr-libc from within the source directory, from the
1.2.3 tarball.

That was indeed the trick. Configure does _way_ more when it
is invoked in a clean subdirectory than when it is invoked at
the top level of avr-libc.

Until now I didn't see the point of building in a sub directory,
since I'm just a user of avr-libc and it's not like I can compile
it for different targets (like I do with gcc/binutils/gdb.)

I have never grappled with configure, so I have no idea why this
is so, but:

        tar xvfj avr-libc-1.2.3.tar.bz2
        cd avr-libc-1.2.3
        mkdir obj-avr
        cd obj-avr
        ../configure
        make
        sudo make install

works perfectly for me. Hopefully it will for others also.

Thansk for the pointer, sorry that I can't fix the problem.
--
address@hidden

Andy Warner             Voice: (612) 801-8549   Fax: (208) 575-5634