Re: [avr-gcc-list] Help Patching gcc for mega48/88

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Help Patching gcc for mega48/88
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 15:50:35 -0700

Andy Warner wrote:

E. Weddington wrote:
[...]
Could you be more specific?: Are you building within the source directory? Or you building in a directory seperate from the source? I haven't had any problems when building in a directory seperate from the source directory.

I was building avr-libc from within the source directory, from the
1.2.3 tarball.

That was indeed the trick. Configure does _way_ more when it
is invoked in a clean subdirectory than when it is invoked at
the top level of avr-libc.

Until now I didn't see the point of building in a sub directory,
since I'm just a user of avr-libc and it's not like I can compile
it for different targets (like I do with gcc/binutils/gdb.)

I have never grappled with configure, so I have no idea why this
is so, but:

        tar xvfj avr-libc-1.2.3.tar.bz2
        cd avr-libc-1.2.3
        mkdir obj-avr
        cd obj-avr
        ../configure
        make
        sudo make install

works perfectly for me. Hopefully it will for others also.

Thansk for the pointer, sorry that I can't fix the problem.
Glad it's working for you!

This is a known issue, though, um... I don't think it's mentioned *explicitly* in the docs. The build instructions say to do it in a directory different from the source directory, but it doesn't say that it doesn't work when building in the source directory.

Anyway it's on our list to eventually fix up the build machinery, though it may take some time. Any help is certainly welcome.

Eric