Re: [avr-gcc-list] Macro to read /write long to eeprom

From: Peter Bosscha
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Macro to read /write long to eeprom
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 11:27:57 +0200

Ok, let's try to be more clear about this ..

Structure size is say 1000 Bytes, when writing the entire structure the write time would therefore be 9mSec * 1000 = 9 Seconds.
Typically in our situation, parts of the structure change but other parts stay the same (this is configuration data for a PLC-like device).
When downloading the entire structure from a PC, quite a bit of eeprom memory already contains the correct values.
So instead of waiting 9 Seconds for a full structure update (and another 9 seconds for a backup structure), we first read before write each byte, typically saving us quite a lot of time.

Clearer ?

Peter Bosscha

"Peter Bosscha" <address@hidden> wrote:

> We have large structures in eeprom, parts of which are saved/updated
> regularly. Doing a read before write saved us seconds in wait
> time.

Curious, can you explain that effect?  Is there any reference in the
datasheet about that?
--
J"org Wunsch                                           Unix support engineer
address@hidden        http://www.interface-systems.de/~j/