[avr-gcc-list] RFD: more avr-libc API changes

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] RFD: more avr-libc API changes
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 22:04:44 +0200

As the impending switch to avr-libc 1.4 allows us to make API changes,
I'd like to get people's opinions on the following:

. I'd like to get <avr/signal.h> and <avr/interrupt.h> to eventually
  be merged.  As a next step, we could deprecate one of those, and
  issue a #warning if it gets included.  But which of the names to
  retain?  I tend to keep <avr/interrupt.h> as this sounds more
  logical, but then, interrupt handlers are usually introduced with
  SIGNAL() for us...

. Are there any users around who really make use of timer_enable_int()
  and enable_external_int() (mind the inconsitent naming)?  These are
  simple assignments to the respective interrupt mask registers, and
  there's no way to query the current settings, or just set or clear a
  single bit in these masks.  The only point for enable_external_int()
  is that it provides some basic abstraction about the register name
  where external interrupts are being maintained in.  However, I
  rather think that kind of abstraction would belong into a
  long-threatened ``least common denominator'' IO resource header
  file, say <compat/io.h>.  There are further candidates like UART
  register naming and such to go there.  As nobody will ever be able
  to craft that single, complete, universal, and great file, I'd take
  this as an occasion and just start the file by moving

#if defined(EIMSK)
#  define __EICR  EIMSK
#elif defined(GIMSK)
#  define __EICR  GIMSK
#elif defined(GICR)
#  define __EICR  GICR
#endif

  out there (probably replace __EICR by something better).

  If so, what to do with timer_enable_int() and enable_external_int(),
  should I start a <compat/deprecated.h> for these?