Re: [avr-gcc-list] How to (efficeiently !!!) test a bit within a multi-b

From: David Kelly
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] How to (efficeiently !!!) test a bit within a multi-byte integer ?
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 12:40:44 -0600

On Nov 4, 2005, at 6:28 PM, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:

Hmmm, it's interesting to see that 3.4.4 is that much better than
3.4.3 ! It means that avr-gcc is being actively improved, that's rather encouraging, at this pace, in 2 or 3 years, it will rival or better the
most expensive commercial compilers :o) Long may live Unix/Linux and
open source...

The biggest difference I found between 3.4.3 and 3.4.4 was the handling of switch statements. Couldn't say that one was significantly better than the other. Apparently I had already coded my 32 bit bit manipulation routines with unions and didn't see the resulting advanced optimization.

The little difference was 3.4.3 would often emit two returns at the end of a function where 3.4.4 only used one.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, address@hidden