AW: [avr-gcc-list] News on debugging Mega128?

From: Haase Bjoern (PT-BEU/EMT) *
Subject: AW: [avr-gcc-list] News on debugging Mega128?
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 17:24:14 +0100

>Hi list,
>
>hopefully I did not simply overlook anything on the list...
>
>Are there any news about debug information for >64k flash size with
>gcc?
No I don't think so. The basic problem is that the pointer size that is
used by the dwarf2 format currently is 16 bits. These pointers are byte
pointers and not word pointers so that you will be getting wrap-around
effects when using code above the 64k boundary :-(.

IMO, the way to solve this issue is to
1.) Make gcc use 32 bit pointers for the dwarf2 information.
2.) Change avrstudio and gdb so that they also use 32 bit pointers
3.) Teach avrstudio and gdb to ignore the most significant bits that
contain the information on the type of memory space.

As much as I know, this work has not been started to be done so far.

Yours,

Bjoern.