[avr-gcc-list] News on debugging Mega128?

From: Wolfgang Wegner
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] News on debugging Mega128?
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 10:31:01 +0100

Hi list,

hopefully I did not simply overlook anything on the list...

Are there any news about debug information for >64k flash size with
gcc?
Currently I have avr-gcc 3.4.3 from the latest official WinAVR
installed, with which it is not possible to debug a program with more
than 64k Code size. I am not sure if these restrictions are imposed
by the debug info format (probably not) or the handling inside the
compiler. I do not have much experience in embedded programming (I
mean the linking part, which is quite different from what I am used
to from the user-land part in unix), so I am not sure if I could help
in changing this situation, but am willing to provide testing and
more if somebody could tell me where to start.
Or is the restriction in AVRStudio, should I try to debug avarice to
use gdb? (It has some problems with my JTAG-Ice mk2)

Or is there a newer code-tree of avr-gcc that would be worthwhile
building from scratch? No problem to do so, but I read something that
the AVR part of gcc-4.0 was still not as good as 3.4.x? Is that true?

Any hints from somebody who knows more about gcc from the inside are
welcome!

Thank you,
Wolfgang