Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: Newbie: Help walking through the demos - avrdude

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: Newbie: Help walking through the demos - avrdude
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 19:26:41 +0100 (MET)

Mark J Elkins <address@hidden> wrote:

> Firstly - do I have a Version 1 or Version 2 firmware on this board.

Hard to tell.  All the STKs I've seen so far still shipped with a
version 1 firmware.  But then, you wrote yours ships with an
ATmega8515 instead of the older AT90S8515, so quite possible your
board is new enough.

> I'd guess 2 - as the board was purchased only a week or so
> ago.. (but how do I tell?).

Either you give both a try, only one will work.  If you've got access
to a Windows machine somehwere where you can install AVR Studio, you
could connect the board, and it will usually always upgrade the STK's
firmware.  Alas, that's the only official way sanctioned by Atmel to
upgrade these STKs, you need to download the full umpty megabytes for
AVR Studio even if you don't need the rest of it.  They refuse to
release parts of it (like the STK or JTAG ICE firmware, or the device
XML files) separately.

> I'd assume that the command to do a
> download is something like....

> avrdude -p m16 -P /dev/ttyS0 -c stk500v2 -v -U flash:w:demo.hex

Looks good.

> Its a Serial Device - but no need for a
> Baud rate anywhere?

You are bound to the baud rate of the STK anyway, which is 115200.

> What of the above can be saved in ${HOME}/.avrduderc

I'm not sure, at least the programmer and the serial port should be
possible to be kept there.

p.s.: Better subscribe do the list.  This is a closed list, so some
people might not automatically send you a Cc of their postings.