Re: [avr-gcc-list] Fixed, external function "pointers"

From: Erik Walthinsen
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Fixed, external function "pointers"
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 01:11:25 -0800

Dave Hylands wrote:
One of the linker options is --just-symbols=filename which will import
the symbols from an objet file.
Looks promising, but there's no mention anywhere of what the format of the file is. I'll see if I can figure it out from the ld sources, but do you know of an example somewhere?

So if you import the symbols from the bootloader you can call directly
into the functions. This has potential maintenance issues (the app
will only work with a particular version of the bootloader).
The intent is to only ever have one version of the bootloader, ideally. If I have space left over I might put a jump table in just in case, though I'd rather not have a double-jump for the interrupt vector... Maybe I can figure a well-known location (say right in the middle) for the interrupt vector, and just work the other functions around it if things move.

Thanks,
      Omega
      aka Erik Walthinsen
      address@hidden