Re: [avr-gcc-list] (no subject)

From: David Brown
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] (no subject)
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 10:27:41 +0100

This is exactly right.

Is there a good web page that explains this stuff, so that we don't have to
explain these C fundamentals on a regular basis?  I know I've had to do it
on the avr lists and many other compiler lists, and it gets a bit annoying
after a while - especially the invariable arguements with someone who thinks
all this "#define EXTERN_GLOBAL extern" shite is a good idea.

If people want to write embedded systems in C, they should first learn to
write C.  That means learning what "extern" means (as described below), and
how headers and source files should be divided up.  Just because C is
painfully poorly designed language and lets you write disorganised drivel,
such as declaring variables in headers, does not mean that this is sensible
code to write.

mvh.,

David