Re: [avr-gcc-list] required version of avr-libc to build example project

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] required version of avr-libc to build example projects
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 12:03:28 +0200 (MET DST)

Brammeleman <address@hidden> wrote:

> Is it possible to include a line in the documentation about the
> (minimum) required versions to compile the example projects?

As the example projects are *part* of avr-libc, they obviously match
the avr-libc version they belong to.  If APIs change (which is only
allowed to happen when the minor version changes, e. g. from 1.2.x to
1.4.0, but not for revision changes, like 1.4.3 to 1.4.4), the
examples will be adapted.

I would simply expect the Ubuntu package maintainer to include the
example projects into the respective avr-libc package, so you'd get
examples matching your library version.  Of course, as examples are
being added over time, you'd still lose for newer examples that are
not yet contained in your version.  The only way out there is that the
respective package maintainer keeps the package up to date.  I'm
personally handling this duty for the FreeBSD packages, and I know at
least the Gentoo maintainer of the AVR-related portage ports is very
fast in updating his packages as well.  So it's not that this were
impossible to do. ;-)