[avr-gcc-list] quality of gcc-4.1 vs 4.2

From: Rolf Ebert
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] quality of gcc-4.1 vs 4.2
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 17:17:18 +0100

Do you have any experience about the relative quality of gcc 4.1 vs. the upcoming 4.2? That is, did you build both cross compilers and check for compiler stability or quality of the generated code?

As one of the maintainers of AVR-Ada I am having difficulties building a correctly working Ada compiler based on gcc-4.1. I use MinGW, but the problems that I see don't seem related to the platform. I am now wondering if it is worth to persue the 4.1 line or if I better skip it and go directly for 4.2, even if gcc-4.2.0 will be available only in a few months from now.

Thanks for any input

   Rolf