Re: [avr-gcc-list] Where is the Startup Code source.

From: Erik Christiansen
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Where is the Startup Code source.
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 12:28:44 +1100

On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 11:50:02PM +0100, Joerg Wunsch wrote:

> I think the initialization would better remain in the startup code, as
> it also allows people to customize their stack location easily.

Jörg,

That would be very helpful. ;-)

For various targets, it is often done in crt0. (Wandering between AVR,
PowerPC, 68k, and NEC v850, I'm comfortable with that, not least because
the -nostartfiles option makes it easy to eliminate stack/bss/data
initialisation in favour of a custom brew.)

To help circumvent the avr muddle, I keep the following reminder:

   avr-gcc:    Still generates do_clear_bss, do_clear_data, exit,
               and stack references, if main() exists. Use
               another function name, if necessary.

That would not be missed, I think.

Erik