[avr-gcc-list] error in inline assembler docu found at: http://www.nongn

From: Johannes Krude
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] error in inline assembler docu found at: http://www.nongnu.org/avr-libc/user-manual/inline_asm.html
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 12:32:08 +0200

hi,
as the author of http://www.nongnu.org/avr-libc/user-manual/inline_asm.html
stated:" a wrong documentation sometimes might be worse than none", this is
definitly true for this documentation. I have spend a lot of time figuring
out what I did wrong in my program until i finaly found out the error was in
the documentation. Unfortunately all docus for avr-gcc inline assembler found
first on google do it wrong.

The documentation stats: "The linefeed and tab characters will make the
assembler listing generated by the compiler more readable", this is far from
the truth, instead the compiler relies on the linefeed and tabs. If you omit
the linefeeds and tabs the compiler complains about: "garbage at end of line"

There is an important point missing about the input and output operands. IO
registers always have to be input operands, even if you only use them as
output. Otherwise the compiler wails about: "invalid lvalue in asm statement"

I don't read tihs list so don't expect me to answer if you don't write to me
personaly.

In hope of making the world a little better, johannes