Re: [avr-gcc-list] ATMega32 fuse bit problem

From: Bernard Fouché
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] ATMega32 fuse bit problem
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 11:32:10 +0100

If you focus on erasing the chip to regain control of it, then you can use nearly anything that provides logical zeros and ones as a clock.

For instance I recovered chips sometimes by using UART traffic because I had no other hardware at hand: I took a RS232-UART converter, sent a big file from a terminal emulator (with no particular protocol, just raw byte sending) and I tried a few times to erase the chip until it worked ;-)

Csroluxx wrote:
James Pascoe wrote:
Hi All,

Apologies for the following question which is very OT, but there is a
good chance you guys can help.

I am using an ATMega32 and inadvertantly programmed the fuse bits wrong
:-( ... instead of setting
the fuse bits to use a 16 Mhz external crystal as the clock source, I
programmed the chip to use the low frequency
crystal oscillator setting. Of course now, I can not program the device
anymore.

Does anybody know if there is any way (other than getting hold of a
32.768 Khz crystal) that I can recover the device ?

Many thanks for any suggestions,

James