RE: [avr-gcc-list] ATMega32 fuse bit problem

From: Dave Hansen
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] ATMega32 fuse bit problem
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 09:54:02 -0500

  From: address@hidden

> > For instance I recovered chips sometimes by using UART traffic because
> > I had no other hardware at hand: I took a RS232-UART converter, sent a
> > big file from a terminal emulator (with no particular protocol, just raw
> > byte sending) and I tried a few times to erase the chip until it worked ;-)
>
> I did a device controller that way once, sending nulls out on the data
> line as "clock" and toggling the handshake line for "data". :) The
> intended use is only a suggestion!

Clever!

If you just want a clean clock signal from a UART, set up to transmit 8N1 and send a continuous string of ASCII 'U' (0x55).  Assuming your application can keep the shift register full, you'll get a nice clean square wave whose frequency is 1/2 the baud rate (stop bit is 1, start bit is 0, and the data is transmitted LSB to MSB).

Regards,

   -=Dave