Re: [avr-gcc-list] More results from the testsuite with avrtest

From: Paulo Marques
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] More results from the testsuite with avrtest
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 19:08:15 +0000

Weddington, Eric wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Paulo Marques
[...]
This gives us 13781 revisions to test. By bisecting, we should be able to lock in on the offending patch in less than 14 attempts. A script that automated this bisection process (checkout middle revision, test it, mark good/bad) would be great to find what exectly caused specific regressions.

I may give it a try tomorrow,

Please see the GCC project about this. IIRC, they already have a script
that does a binary search on failing test cases. IIRC, it is in the
contrib subdirectory.

If I had a nickel for every time I come up with a nice original idea that someone has already thought of before ;)

I looked into what is already done to help binary searches like I wanted to do, and there is a nice mechanism in place to solve one of the problems I was having: checking out tens or hundreds of different gcc revisions from the gcc repository over the internet :P

The existing solution consists of rsync'ing the gcc repository into a local repository, so that you can checkout any revision locally. You pay an initial setup cost, but then you can checkout any revision "for free" :)

The initial setup cost is 13Gb. Even if I'm lucky enough to get my internet connection to go at full speed, that's still at least 9 hours of download, so I guess I won't have any results tonight.

I can't wait to get a bisecting environment ready ;)

--
Paulo Marques
Software Development Department - Grupo PIE, S.A.

"For every problem there is one solution which is simple, neat, and wrong."
H. L. Mencken