Re: [avr-gcc-list] optimization flags causes problems??

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] optimization flags causes problems??
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 22:10:57 +0200 (MET DST)

Ramazan Kerek <address@hidden> wrote:

> 2-I am using EEPROM_Write/Read functions in my project.  When I
> compile the project with -O0 option, and start dtata transfer to
> EEPROM memory, I do not see any transfer to EEPROM memory.

As you told the compiler to not optimize, the generated code is just
that: not quite optimal.  As such, it's too slow to follow the timing
requirements for an EEPROM write operation.

As others already suggested, if you use the library-provided EEPROM
routines, they'll work with any optimization level.  (This is because
they use hand-tuned inline assembly statements so they are independent
of compiler optimizations within the timing-critical region.)