Re: [avr-gcc-list] Avr-gcc Produces Incorrect Code with -Os

From: Tristan Gingold
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Avr-gcc Produces Incorrect Code with -Os
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 10:07:10 +0200

On May 23, 2008, at 9:49 AM, David Brown wrote:
These "atomic access" builtins are very much specific to the Itanium - they are basically wrappers around some assembly primitives, for use in operating system fundamentals such as locks and synchronisation primitives.

Not really. These primitives are based on an atomic compare and exchange operation which is pretty common
(at least available on x86).

For other targets, people normally just use a couple of lines of inline assembly - for the Itanium, assembly language is so hideous that it's worth having these builtin wrappers.

Not at all.  These builtins were defined by intel to ease portability.

While I think it is worth having a set of consistent atomic access builtins that work across gcc ports, I'm not sure the Itanium's functions are the best model.

These operations are useful for SMP - which is not what AVR users care about!

Tristan.