Re: [avr-gcc-list] Eclipse, avarice, JDB usage?

From: Dave N6NZ
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Eclipse, avarice, JDB usage?
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 11:47:41 -0700

Dennis Clark wrote:
dlc wrote:
Hi all,

  No one on AVR-chat appears to use avarice, avr-gcc and Eclipse.  All
are using AVR studio or nothing at all for debugging.  SO, my question
to this group is.  How?  Does anyone have any experience using the
following nifty tools all together?
avr-gcc
avarice
Eclipse
Eclipse AVR plugin

To debug a program?  It seems a lot of effort to create avarice to
connect to the ADB engine for debugging for no one to use it.  Is there
a group dedicated to that topic perhaps?
I usually end up discussing avarice on avrdude-dev, which may not be the
canonical place, but it seems like the right place to get information on
avarice is where ever Joerg can be found :)

Sorry to say I don't use Eclipse -- although I've been thinking I should
try it :)  I use avr-gcc + avarice + gdb on Linux, but the old-fashioned
command line way.

Not being familiar with Eclipse, this is going to be a dumb question...
but since avarice looks like any other gdb server isn't the hookup
relatively straight forward? (He says as he waits for the dull thud of
the clue stick.)

  You may be correct.  But I have not used GDB before.  I've used some
predecessors long ago in UNIX land, but when it comes to debuggers in
microcontrollers I have been strictly "printf" and/or an IDE holding my
hand.
  I've read that GDB can interface to Eclipse through a CDT(?) module,
which implies that avr-gdb will as well, but I have no clue how to
connect avarice to avr-gdb and have not yet found a "how to" so that I
can ask intelligent and informed questions.  So I too am awaiting a
thump on the head...
<thumper>
First google hit of the search terms: avr-gdb avarice
http://winavr.sourceforge.net/AVR-GDB_and_AVaRICE_Guide.pdf
</thumper>

That should get you started with avr-gdb. gdb supports remote debugging, and avarice simply fakes out gdb to look like a remote debug target by running the IP traffic through a loopback port.

I don't know what a CDT module is. If Eclipse uses the same protocol as gdb to talk to remote debug targets then you should be in luck.

Hope that helps,

Dave

thanks,
DLC