[avr-gcc-list] On getting an ISR leaner with GCC

From: dlc
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] On getting an ISR leaner with GCC
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 00:52:22 -0700

The subject says it all. I've an ISR that is using too many cycles for something that kicks every 10us. I'm very experienced with the PIC and know how to specify registers that are not touched outside of the ISR to avoid lots of "push-n-pop" actions. Is there something like that in the AVR toolchain or am I going to have to resort to assembly to get this thing leaned down? I'd like to create some memory that is dedicated to the ISR such that the compiler knows that it doesn't need to be saved. Also a way to get scratchpad memory assigned to it for some basic math that I don't want to have to use the overhead of push/pop. Can anyone offer insight into how I can lean an ISR down or what sorts of operations or memory types to avoid there with avr-gcc?

many thanks,
DLC
Dennis Clark          TTT Enterprises
www.techtoystoday.com