Re: [avr-gcc-list] Preferred ICE (was: How to force GCC to not to remove

From: David Kelly
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Preferred ICE (was: How to force GCC to not to remove "nop" statements?)
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 23:18:16 -0600

On Feb 19, 2009, at 9:44 PM, Graham Davies wrote:

David Kelly wrote:
I have a Microchip 1000 or 2000 ICE thingy that cost about $2000 and was used for one project. Given a choice I much prefer the ECROS
ICE Cube, avr-gcc, and of  course an AVR.

Could I possibly quote that on the "User Testimonials" page, please?

Yes you may. But rather than call it a "Microchip 1000 or 2000 ICE thingy" I checked the closet and its an MPLAB ICE-2000. And appears the current price is $1000 but requires external pods or personality modules. Its significantly more capable than AVR JTAG as its a full emulator that replaces the target MCU. Its just that the software (back then) resembled Windows 3.0 and DOS. And turned out some of its instruction execution times were not the same as a stand alone chip.

Microchip has/had a "ICD" which is similar to Freescale BDM and AVD DebugWire but consumed some program space. But the ICD executed all code with proper timing as it was an enhanced monitor program. As I remember in the end I had to use a mix of the two Microchip development tools to get the job done.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, address@hidden