Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: sprintf

From: Russell Shaw
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: sprintf
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 16:42:51 +1100

David VanHorn wrote:
Hey take it easy, I hardly meant to offend ! I was not "judging" your
    skills whatsoever (I am beginner too, I also used printf in my
    first days of programming...and gave up on it on the same day, as soon
    as I timed it with my oscilloscope and my eyes poped out when they saw
    how long it took to run and how much KB it "stole" from my tight
    Mega32 !). I was really only showing my appreciation of David Brown's
    humour, nothing more, not at all laughing at the specific target/object
    of this humour, honest !
:) It's cool. I'm not feeling too bad, as my second C project is up and running, and the boss is pleased. If I wanted fast and small, I'd have done it in ASM. But half of the point of this exercise was to get my feet wet with C. So, both points accomplished. I have GCC up under AVR studio, a working project, and I feel reasonably confident with the code. I'm less pleased with the sensor performance, but I need to look at some more sophisticated ways to handle the data.
And that, is something I wouldn't want to have to do in ASM.
Here's a studio question though: When stepping thru the code, the pointer isn't always pointing to the line properly. Sometimes when it exits a function, it ends up pointing at the last brace, sometimes not. Sometimes when it enters a function, it ends up pointing at the first brace, sometimes not. Basically, I'm never SURE that the pointer is pointing to the code that's about to be executed.

I've had many avr-gdb quirks like those mentioned and more. I was getting
around to fixing them, and still need to unless someone else does. I had a
go a couple of years ago, but had to put off avr stuff because of a long
multi-year project. I will fix all these problems eventually.

I've seen worse in ASM.. On the AVR Chat group at yahoo, I posted a movie taken from a screen cap of a debugging session. The emulator (not sim!) walked right past an LDI instruction without it affecting the register. (!) I have had a miserable time with Studio over the last few years, though it worked wonderfully for about the first two years, right up till they introduced the ICE-50. Anyway, is this just an annoyance I'll have to live with, or is it some setting I've got wrong?