Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: C vs. assembly performance

From: Bob Paddock
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: C vs. assembly performance
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 20:39:48 -0500

>  In practice, the experienced programmer can do a lot to help
> the tools. avr-gcc *does* do a good job with most code - I do
> much less re-structuring of my source code for avr-gcc than I do
> for most other compilers (I use a lot of compilers for a lot of >different
> targets).

Something I always found amusing/depressing is that some
compilers generate smaller code for ++i than i++ everything
being equal.  Then other compilers generate smaller code for i++ than
++i.  So in the embedded space you have to know what your tools are
doing. Sadly it should not be this way.

avr-gcc generates the same size code in any case that I've looked at.