Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: How to force GCC to not to remove "nop"statements

From: Preston Wilson
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: How to force GCC to not to remove "nop"statements ?
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 20:15:37 -0500

"Gene Smith" wrote:

> Beginner question: If I build the avr-gcc-4.3.2 toolchain on linux using
> all the WinAVR (sourceforge) patches, as seems to be done in the femtoos
> scripts mention on "freaks", will I have the same features (such as
> function mentioned above) on linux as winavr provides on windows? Will
> (or can) they produce identical binaries?
> -gene

Judging by my _limited_ testing, the answer is yes, they produce identical
binaries.

I recently built the avr-gnu tool chain on Ubuntu 8.10 to test out a
reported bug.  I did not use femtoo's scripts, but I probably did pretty
much what the scripts do, which was to apply the WinAVR-20081205 patches to
the following:
  avr-libc-1.6.4
  binutils-2.19
  gcc-4.3.2
  mpfr-2.4.0
  gmp-4.2.4
[That is just the listing of source directories to which I applied the
patches and from which I built the tool chain.]

I built two of my projects under my build of the tools on Ubuntu and under
WinAVR-20081205, and in both cases the end binary was the same as determined
by cmp on the Linux system.  One project is a fairly simple application
using an ATtiny13 and the other is a medium sized application using an
ATmega324P.

-Preston