[avr-gcc-list] Any SimulAVR or avrtest users out there?

From: Weddington, Eric
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Any SimulAVR or avrtest users out there?
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 10:13:52 -0600

Hi All,

There's a lot of new work being done at the SimulAVR project:
<http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/simulavr>

Specifically the "old" simulavr project hasn't had much maintenance done on it
in years. There is an "avrtest" project (hosted at WinAVR) that is used
exclusively as a simulator for the GCC Regression Test Suite. The newer, C++
based simulavrxx is being worked on heavily, with the intent that it will
supersede both the old simulavr and avrtest and include as much functionality
from both as possible.

We would like to turn the simulavrxx branch into a best-of-class AVR simulator
that will work for all of the use cases, on all platforms that the AVR
toolchain is used on, so we don't have various project forks that don't work
effectively for all. At some point we would like for the old simulavr and
avrtest to go away and to be able to use the C++ based simulavr for everything.

The question has to do with backwards-compatibility. How much
backwards-compatibility should we have to the old simulavr? How many people out
there are using the old simulavr? What features are absolutely required? How
hard would it be to change how you are using the old simulavr?

If you want a stake in what is happening in development, then it would be
helpful if you could subscribe to the simulavr developers mailing list here:
<http://savannah.nongnu.org/mail/?group=simulavr>
Please let the developers know your interests in simulavrxx.

Thanks,
Eric Weddington