[avr-gcc-list] Re: [Fwd: Re: Strings in ROM]

From: David Brown
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Re: [Fwd: Re: Strings in ROM]
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 21:56:02 +0100

Weddington, Eric wrote:

-----Original Message----- From: address@hidden [mailto:address@hidden org]
On Behalf Of Robert von Knobloch Sent: Monday, March 16, 2009 10:00
AM To: address@hidden Subject: [avr-gcc-list] [Fwd: Re:
Strings in ROM]

Then the compiler complains "mystring causes a section type
conflict".

This sounds like a linker error. It would help if you could post the
actual output from the toolchain.

It doesn't sound like an error to me, but a justified linker warning (though we can't be entirely sure without the build output). I haven't mixed sections like this with avr-gcc, but I've sometimes done it on other targets (msp430 and ColdFire) to put code (such as flash programming routines) into ram by forcing them into the .data section. The linker *should* complain about mixing data and code in the same input section, although it should still generate the correct output.

mvh.,

David