Re: [avr-gcc-list] when is it safe to use -mtiny-stack

From: sjuid-avr
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] when is it safe to use -mtiny-stack
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 01:50:08 -0700 (PDT)

>> It's not safe at all.

I was guessing that would be the case. However, I didn't see any caveats
attached to the description anywhere, so maybe it was "wishful thinking " on my
part that it was some kind of "smart" option that would activate only when
possible.  Anyway, turns out I was able to avoid needing to use it - found some
dead code that was not getting gc'd.
In any case, thanks for the confirmation.

>> Can I have source code for the program we are talking about?

It's the firmware  (AVR2017) for one of the uCs (the ATmega3290P) in the Atmel
RAVEN kit.  It's a 17Meg zip file package.
You can download it from
http://www.atmel.com/dyn/Products/tools_card.asp?tool_id=4291
(There's a registration form to get thru but theres no mail back  etc.. you'll
get the download link right after submitting the form).
I'm just trying to compile their stock source code so it will fit back on to
the device - the default Makefile that ships with the code produces an image
roughly 2x the max acceptable size!  (Their suggested option is to NOT use the
gcc toolchain and buy a commercial tool instead - aargh!)