Re: [avr-gcc-list] Problem with avr gcc compiler ? No warning of mixedda

From: Dan Roganti
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Problem with avr gcc compiler ? No warning of mixeddata types
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 14:12:41 -0400

Weddington, Eric wrote:
Then can you post the code snippet that should have caused a warning?

Here's the snippet;

//Variables

uint16_t adc_value;                  //This is the required data type because the ADC result is 10bits wide
uint8_t ch;
uint8_t channel;
uint16_t gp2ir[4];                     //This is where I had the wrong data, uint8_t
uint8_t button_state;
uint8_t i;
uint8_t dfreq;
uint8_t Sensor_status;

[snip]

//  ADC conversion complete service routine
// The ADC generates 10bit binary value from the analog input.
ISR(ADC_vect)
    {

        //get low byte first
        adc_value = ADCL;

        //get high byte next, shift high byte to add
        adc_value += (ADCH<<8);

        //store readings into buffer
        gp2ir[channel] = adc_value;  //This is where the problem occurred

    }

[snip]

Besides the function that cause the "non-use"
warning happens to be in a file which is linked containing
all my VT100 functions. I don't use every vt100 escape code
for each project - nor should I.

That's what libraries are for. Perhaps you should build your own vt100 library. See the avr-libc manual for more information:
<http://www.nongnu.org/avr-libc/user-manual/library.html>
That would be nice to have, but I usually get stuck working on the next project than upgrading the programming environment.  Perhaps this could be a good suggestion to add into the next upgrade for the avr-libc. I've been using the AVR family for 8bitters a long time now, and I plan to keep using these micro's.

=Dan