[avr-gcc-list] Re: optimizer removes volatile pin access code. why?

From: David Brown
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Re: optimizer removes volatile pin access code. why?
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2009 12:58:24 +0100

Joerg Wunsch wrote:
Erik Christiansen <address@hidden> wrote:

I've tried it with -Os and foo() is still called.

Ah, yes, optimisation needs to be used for inline to work.

This contradicts the documentation though:

`always_inline'
     Generally, functions are not inlined unless optimization is
     specified.  For functions declared inline, this attribute inlines
     the function even if no optimization level was specified.

As such, it might be worth a bug report.

It might be worth filing a report for a better clarification in the documentation (does that need a bug report?) to make it clearer that "always_inline" has no effect without a normal "inline" declaration.

If Joerg Desch (or someone else) can post a relevant snippet to the list then I can run it through a couple of versions of avr-gcc with different flags, to try to help find the problem.

mvh.,

David