[avr-gcc-list] Does anyone know how to write avrdude configuration file

From: Christopher Christian
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Does anyone know how to write avrdude configuration file effectively ?
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 18:58:37 +1300

Hi All,

I have experience of MCU programming with M16 and PICs and now swithing to AVRs, I decided to use avrdude and usbasp, I am trying to program ATmega8U2, but as this is not supported by avrdude, I have to change its configuration file, I refered  the help file on doing this from avrdude and I refered other device configurations on the config file, I saw that the there is much more info required than actually provided in the official help file of avrdude, there is no explanation about many things that are actually used in Atmega8 configuration which I have decided to use as reference..... here are some excerpt from the ATmega8 config,

( for FLASH memory)

mode  = 0x21;
 delay  = 6;
 blocksize = 64;
 readsize = 256;

and some other things ........

    timeout  = 200;
    stabdelay  = 100;
    cmdexedelay  = 25;
    synchloops  = 32;
    bytedelay  = 0;
    pollindex  = 3;
    pollvalue  = 0x53;
    predelay  = 1;
    postdelay  = 1;
    pollmethod  = 0;

    pp_controlstack     =
 0x0E, 0x1E, 0x0F, 0x1F, 0x2E, 0x3E, 0x2F, 0x3F,
 0x4E, 0x5E, 0x4F, 0x5F, 0x6E, 0x7E, 0x6F, 0x7F,
 0x66, 0x76, 0x67, 0x77, 0x6A, 0x7A, 0x6B, 0x7B,
 0xBE, 0xFD, 0x00, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00;
    hventerstabdelay    = 100;
    progmodedelay       = 0;
    latchcycles         = 5;
    togglevtg           = 1;
    poweroffdelay       = 15;
    resetdelayms        = 2;
    resetdelayus        = 0;
    hvleavestabdelay    = 15;
    resetdelay          = 15;

can any one expalin to me what are these ? and why it is not explained in avrdude configuration file template ?

I will be very gratefull for any help. Please reply ASAP so that I can move on with AVR programming.

Thanks,
Chris